Dealing with baggage on your trip
(NC)Nothing is more embarrassing than having to unpack your baggage at the airport. It’s common to overpack because you want to make sure you have everything you need for your trip – the right shoes, a jacket in case it’s cold, a bathing suit in case there’s a pool. But you must be mindful of the baggage restrictions. So, how can you be smart with your baggage when travelling?
The first thing to do is talk to your TICO-certified travel agent about the weight restrictions and number of bags you are allowed to take. Some airlines charge per bag, while others may offer one bag for free depending on weight.
You’ll also need to know if there are security requirements for carry-on and checked baggage. For example, there may be prohibited items such as gels and liquids. These limitations vary from airline to airline and depends on if your flight is international or domestic, so you’ll need to check the policy of the airline you’re travelling with.
Naturally, you want to avoid incurring baggage fees, so talk to your travel agent, or contact the airline directly. You can also visit their website to review the luggage policy.
Here are a few more tips to help you manage your baggage when travelling:
- Clearly label all baggage with your name, home address, and contact information
- Place an identification tag inside the baggage in case the outside tag is torn off
- Lock bags with CATSA/ACTSA travel locks
- Put a colourful ribbon or other identifying marks on your bags so they are easily recognizable
- Carry valuables in your hand luggage; jewelry, money, medications, important documents, etc.
You can’t carry everything with you, so be smart when you pack. Take only necessary items and focus on your trip.